Boys do Dee-molition job

September 25, 2017

Just the two of us: Jamie Fulton and Josh Kezerle celebrate after the former slotted the first of his two majors.

Three amigos: United captains Lachlan Holthuisen and Lachlan Bogdan lift aloft the premiership cup alongside their coach Des Hicks.

Thirds premiers, Shepp United: The Demons proved too strong yesterday, defeating the Bombers by 10 goals to claim back-to-back premierships.

Shepparton United has claimed back-to-back premierships after defeating Kyabram in the Goulburn Valley League under-18 grand final.

In a battle between the competition’s two premier sides all season United, which finished second on the table, proved too strong 14.13 (97) to 5.7 (37).

Aaron Britten was awarded Freddo McMahon medal for best-on-ground after dominating across half-back.

United coach Des Hicks, who also led last year’s premiership, was thrilled with how his boys performed.

‘‘We were so even across the board everyone chipped in and I think the boys couldn’t be any happier with how they played,’’ Hicks said.

The premiership cup has only been shared between two clubs in the past four years with Benalla also going back-to-back and Hicks was stoked to keep the trophy at his club.

‘‘It bodes well for the future, so many of our boys have played seniors and in last season’s premiership, so it is exciting times for the club,’’ Hicks said.

‘‘They have tasted that winning feeling, so hopefully they can continue to assert themselves in the competition.’’

In blustery conditions, it was a relatively low-scoring affair at Deakin Reserve, but it was a dominant third term that helped United claim a comfortable 10-goal victory.

Hicks’ side kicked six goals to two in the premiership quarter to blow its 19-point half-time lead out to an unassailable 40-point margin.

With 14 players who have played senior football this season, United was seasoned for the big occasion and it was Angus Hicks and Jye Chalcraft, 15, who delivered in spades.

United kicked the game’s first three goals via Jesse Cucinotta, Josh Kezerle and Kyle Clarke as it kept the minor premier goalless in the opening stanza.

Bombers key forwards Kyle Fitzgerald and Curtis Ryan missed gilt-edged set shots for their side, kicking to the Harold St end.

The scoring dried up in the second as the Bombers attempted to assert their dominance on the contest, but both teams only kicked one major each.

Dom Watt snapped a sensational goal for the Bombers to get his side’s first goal, but soon after Joel Serra kicked the first of his two goals.

United made most of the slight breeze heading to the Skene St end, mustering eight scoring opportunities to the Bombers’ three.

‘‘That quarter was crucial, we were able to control the ball, use it well and capitalise against the wind,’’ Hicks said.

‘‘Then in the third we were brilliant, we moved the ball exceptionally well and blew the game open a little.’’

Eight of those United shots amounted to six goals with Ed Adams, Kyle Orchard, Chalcraft and Fulton all finding the big sticks for the first time.

The eventual premiers were in party mode during the final quarter, outscoring the Bombers by two goals.

Kezerle kicked the last of his three goals in the final quarter, while Fulton, Chalcraft and Mitch McGrath, who kicked the game’s last goal, joined in the celebrations.

McKenzie Ryan and Madden Genio kicked two late consolation for the Bombers, but after ending a 22-year under-18 premiership drought last year, United made it two in a row.

More in Shepparton News
Login Sign Up

Dummy text